January 1, 2021
All employees are reminded to be aware of changes in the weather and some tips to help you during the winter months are:
- Dress warmly and stay dry to avoid frostbite and hypothermia.
- Frostbite Signs and Treatment:
- Skin becomes pale, hard and numb
- Fingers, hands, toes, feet, ears and nose are usually affected
- If frostbite occurs:
- Move to a warm dry area and remove any clothing that fits tight and will limit blood flow
- Do not rub skin because it can cause tissue damage, instead, slowly soak affected area in warm water. Pouring warm water on affected area, warming it up too fast will cause tissue damage, slowly soaking for 25-40 minutes is important.
- After area has become warm it may blister and be puffy. Wrap area to keep warm and seek medical attention. Do not expose area to cold again because it can cause more damage.
- Eat warm, high calorie food like pasta.
- Drink warm and sweet liquids, but not anything with caffeine.
- Don’t overdo it while working. Understand that your heart is already working harder to keep you warm.
- Remember to close all doors after loading/unloading trailers.
- Always have extra warm clothing appropriate for winter conditions.
- Be aware of snow covered pallets – they can slide really easy if not handled properly.
- Keep pallets a safe distance from all heating and never put anything directly underneath a tube heater (max. 15 high)